[linux-audio-dev] potential instrument formats for the linux API ?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] potential instrument formats for the linux API ?
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: pe loka   22 1999 - 11:57:43 EDT

I was wondering if there are any suitable format to store instruments for our
upcoming linux audio system ?

Are the soundfont specifications free ?
Is it flexible enough to meet our requirements ?
Any infos about the AKAI sampleformat (good/bad/ license problems etc.)

Of course we should again take a modular approach, where you can
add your preferred sample/instrument import module.

The maximum of fun would be to put an AKAI S1000/S2000 CD in your CDROM drive,
load it in your softsynth, and play the instruments as you were on a real AKAI
sample , with correct (or at least good emulated) filter / envelope settings.
:-)

regards,
Benno.