Re: [linux-audio-dev] heads down, no talking , big picture

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] heads down, no talking , big picture
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: pe loka   22 1999 - 14:33:21 EDT

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Benno Senoner wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Guenter Geiger wrote:
>

> > Yes, go for it !
> >
> > I guess several developers on the list are awaiting some
> > documentation/implementation of the ideas thrown together,
> > I for my part found it very hard to keep the big picture together,
> > so it´s time someone paints it ...
> >
> > Guenter
>
> I agree.
> I'd suggest that David and Paul should put toghether the basic event system,
> (since they know the "big picture" best)
> which should include the handling of basic plugin processing,
> event routing to subnets, handling the event routing to multiple listeners /
> receivers etc.

I'll start hacking my implementation tonight, hopefully. (I'm
checking out a 22" monitor, and I need to get a *real* video card
running to see what the monitor can do...)

The plan is to try out the qm_heap for events + a fixed buffer pool
for the streams. I'll probably have only one plugin callback function
for everything, including init, to see what that design actually
looks like in real life.

> It would be nice to provide a simple working engine, and a sample plugin
> implementation.
> What we need is to document how the engine does work, maybe in terms of flow
> diagrams to better understand the "big picture".

I hacked an HTML "framework" yesterday, and I'll start filling in the
details of the system as I deal with each part of my implementation.
The overview and diagrams will probably come in later, but I might
have a "useful" document in a few days.

> PS: did we agree on the name (what was the final name) ? I lost the discussion.
> :-)

Uhm, don't know... The logo on my doc says "The MuCoS Multimedia
Communication System", until I get a better suggestion. (I could
upload or post a page layout example if you'd like to see the logo and
layout...)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer