Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: rtcd vs hz > 100!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: rtcd vs hz > 100!
From: Steve Ratcliffe (steve_AT_parabola.demon.co.uk)
Date: to loka   28 1999 - 11:55:36 EDT

For those using ALSA, you can already do this without a user daemon.
The timer interface allows more than one process to access the same timer,
there is a user interface via open/read of /dev/snd/timer and a kernel
interface so that the sequencer can be driven from a better clock than
the 10ms system timer. I have a demo timer module that uses the RTC as
a loadable ALSA timer.

As I write this I have two processes reading from the timer being
woken up each 1ms, printing out when they are woken up late because of
bad latencies. At the same time the clock is being used to drive the
sequencer at 1ms resolution. The timers can be run at different rates
(although this may not work with my demo code).

..Steve