[linux-audio-dev] new system - what to buy ?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] new system - what to buy ?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ma marras 29 1999 - 17:07:34 EST

ok, its time for me to order the new machine for the all-or-mostly
linux powered section of my friend's pro-studio. and its *hard*. here
are the contenders, with some notes:

* dual Pentium something-or-other (custom built)
  -------------------------------

  Pros: like the system i have at home (self-built)
        can use OEM rack-mount case
        nobody was ever fired for buying Intel
        fast enough
        SMP

  Cons: not *that* fast
        can't run commercial audio apps without windows

* single Athlon 700/750 (custom built)
  ---------------------

  Pros: faster than anything from Intel
        a little cheaper too

  Cons: no SMP motherboards (till at least Q3 2000)
        no motherboards with builtin SCSI controllers
        hard to get the processors on their own
        hard to get the motherboards on their own
        can't run commercial audio apps without windows

* Apple G4
  --------

  Pros: possibly faster than anything else
        cheap
        you can get one of Apple's new digital monitors
        you can run commercial apps without running windows

  Cons: linux-ppc is still "unstable"
        full speed needs a new version of gcc
        no SPECfp benchmarks available yet, so we don't know how
                  it is without the Altivec
        hard to buy with custom specs
        no rack-mount options

So, does anyone have any opinions on what *they* would do ? I have a
strong preference for an SMP system, but is that the most significant
thing ? Thanks for any feedback. A year ago, this was an easy choice:
the dual Pentium II 450 won easily. This time, it seems much more of a
trade-off.

--p