Re: [linux-audio-dev] new system - what to buy ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] new system - what to buy ?
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_em.gardena.net)
Date: ti marras 30 1999 - 03:43:20 EST

[ INtel vs AMD vs PPC CPUs ... ]

Paul, I agree on almost all points.

I am looking to the K7 too, but it is still too early
for getting stable , well tested SMP mainboards
for this CPU/BUS.

As you pointed out linux on the PPC is not so well tested
as on x86 hardware, and especially when it comes to audio hardware support.
(Is ALSA working on PPC ?)

The Apple platformm is too closed IMHO, I would prefer
a more open PPC platform (the IBM ones ?).
The main point is that you should concentrate on the audio software issues,
rather than dealing with problems like hardware support , compiler problems,
sound card support etc.

If I were you , I would buy a well tested SMP dual PIII box, with
onboard UW2 SCSI.
If I had to make this decision 6-9months later , I'd buy an
SMP K7 (perhaps 4way).

The 4way Xeon is to exclude IMHO because the price/performance ratio
simply sucks.

Alpha: powerful platform , but Compaq do not give us full specs,
like optimized compiler techniques , math libs etc.

PPC: powerful too, especially with the new Altivec instruction,
but apple is too closed for my taste, the don't want Linux replacing MacOS.
Other PPC platforms are not widespread enough, that means you
could run into big troubles and no one will be able to help you.
:-)

PS: I really hate x86 assembly , all the x86 baggage,
even the Motorola680x0 (Amiga :-) ) was a dream to program
compared to x86 CPUs.

But actually it's very hard to beat the price/performance ratio of
x86.

Just my two cents. (Or better 36 lire :-) )

Benno.