Re: [linux-audio-dev] wine, cubase etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] wine, cubase etc.
From: jfm3 (jfm3_AT_acm.org)
Date: ke joulu  01 1999 - 11:14:43 EST

Thomas Hudson wrote:

> [Acid] is cool, and if anyone is interested in a project to
> take the best ideas from it and create something improved for Linux,
> let me know. This seems like one of those apps that a GPL'd version
> could speed adoption of Linux.

"me too"

Acid is practically supernaturally inspired. It's one of those programs
that solves just the right set of problems in just the right ways. Just
about the only programs I need to make music that force me into Windows
any more are SoundForge and Acid, and I think that if I make a serious
commitment to learning snd/clm/cm I'll be able to eliminate SoundForge.

Acid would speed adoption of Linux too, because it is very easy for
non-musicians and non-techies to get sounding results very quickly with
it. I've seen kids as young as 10 and as old as 56 spend hours arranging
other people's loops and tweaking the effects. Another important "speed
adoption of Linux" music program is ReBirth, but sadly they've made their
mod format unembraceable. Given that compatibility is impossible, I think
that a combination of phrase sequencing software (i.e., KeyKit or
SoftWerk) and Quasimodo could be ReBirth quite nicely.

Anyone who hasn't should spend a couple of hours with these programs just
to see what it's like. It's very different from the bad old days of step
sequencing quavers into cakewalk!

(jfm3)