Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ti tammi  11 2000 - 21:50:05 EST

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, David Slomin wrote:
> Why so many clones of Cakewalk and Cubase? Am I the only one who's
> trying to do something fairly different in hopes of it being better?

I've had some slightly different ideas as well, but as I'm not
working an a sequencer application an more, I haven't worked more on
them.

Anyway, I think the most interesting of one of those old ideas was to
remove the track concept, and use the Y axis in the arrange view only
for layout. That should make the arrange window more "readable",
lessy tricky to use (no "what track is this, really" situations on
big screens) and smaller. Why 70 tracks (yes, some of my songs get
that big when mixing everything down in the digital audio domain!)
when you only need them to say "this clip should use that set
of output, paramaters and effects"? Have a separate window with
named, color coded,... "output contexts" that you can select for each
clip.

A clip should be more than a graphic grouping of events. It is a
logical UI object, and should have all the *useful* functions you
expect! Who cares for a dodgy mouse selection scheme that they have
worked around to get back the few advantages of the old "one dot per
bar" scheme, and that doesn't do ANYTHING but try to make selections
easier, and put nice colors in your arrange view? It seems almost
ridiculous to me when I think about it...

Further, there are times when you wish you could move things around
inside a clip. Now, what you get is the piano roll, the staff view,
or the event list. And in CW, you can't even see which clip's events
you are moving around! It's just the plain old, useless (in most
situations) full single track edit mode. :-( Even pattern based
trackers are more structured than that - they have a way of dividing
the timeline into logically relevant parts.

My idea: Clips inside clips. (Allow any number of levels if you dare,
but it might be too much for some users to sort out... ;-)

Yes, I think Cakewalk is a very, very limited application with a
stone age design! *argh!* It just has lots of functions in a huge
pile, and they are getting hard to access in any useful way these
days.

Well, back to the plugin API...

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Rock Solid, Hard Real Time, |
| Plugin & Integration Standard | | Low Latency Signal Processing |
`------> www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `--> www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -'
| Audio Hacker, Linux Advocate, Open Source Advocate, Singer/Composer |