Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: David Slomin (david.slomin_AT_av.com)
Date: pe tammi  21 2000 - 15:42:35 EST

Eli Brandt wrote:

> A lot of music you can represent as MIDI, but only in roundabout ways.
> So you can't _edit_ it as MIDI without a lot of pain.
>
> I'd design my editor around whatever musical representation I found
> perspicuous, and then define translations into MIDI. Maybe you want
> to control each note, so in MIDI each one goes on its own channel.
> Maybe you edit a control voltage and then apply it to either the
> volume controller or the note-on velocities -- these are two different
> sorts of things in MIDI, but you are freed from having to think about
> MIDI.

All I can say is here, here. That's why that the PEGS design has no
native format, because your better-than-MIDI way of thinking is
probably different than mine. Heck, offhand I can think of several
different ones that I'd use for different purposes. The idea is that
you'll have a framework that makes it easy for you to define an
editing interface that works for you without reinventing the wheel
each time.

By the way, I love the timestamp on your message: 12/31/69. Unless
you did that intentionally as a joke, that's one of the first actual
Y2K bugs I've seen! Or does your appreciation for 'retro' ideas
extend beyond raw voltage control? :-)

Div.