Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: Eli Brandt (eli_AT_gong.music.cs.cmu.edu)
Date: la tammi  22 2000 - 14:17:13 EST

Paul Winkler wrote:
> jfm3 wrote:
> > One can use an incremental collector, which causes all allocations to happen
> > in constant bounded time.
> >
> > For time critical real time sections, one can just lock a larger portion of
> > memory (and other resources) before entering the section, then prohibit
> > garbage collection until the section is complete.
>
> I don't think I'm going to hack python's memory management... that's
> a few too many levels above my head. :)

I know that Roger Dannenberg likes python and hoped to use it for his
real-time programming, but found it wouldn't quite do what he wanted.
The stumbling blocks were the non-real-time GC, and something I didn't
grasp about the engine not running multithreaded. He says:

> Nothing public yet. Feel free to say I have developed a core
> implementation of a language based on Python with inspiration from
> XLisp and Ruby, but with the goal of real-time garbage collection
> (<1ms GC-related latency) and the ability to run multiple instances of
> the language in one address space. Instances are totally separate,
> not even sharing "global" variables, so all IPC, synchronization, and
> sharing must be accomplished by language extensions, making the
> language adaptable to different styles of real-time system
> building. The tentative name is Boa, and I intend to distribute it
> freely.

If anybody does feel like hacking on python's GC, what he's using is a
white/gray/black write-barrier scheme.

--
     Eli Brandt  |  eli+@cs.cmu.edu  |  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~eli/