Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: ti helmi  08 2000 - 09:11:27 EST

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

>>Here my undo-list approach works better. As the "current situation"
>>is always stored in standard audio files, other apps can use them
> resulting file sizes are enormous (about 700MB per track). If you do
> an edit that results in any temporal motion of a sample within the
> file, you may have to rewrite up to 100% of the file. That is

Good point. ;) Temporal edits in the middle of audio data (cut,
insert) will be inefficient. But again, IMHO this is another level
of audio editing. If you start moving drum hits around, maybe it's
time to do a re-take... :) If I need to do stuff like this, I use
a sequencer (MIDI, tracker, audio, ...) and then export the data
to the multitrack environment.

> With an ADAT recorder, you can specify the crossfade time that is used
> when you punch-in and punch-out (start and stop
> recording/overdubbing). This varies from about 1 to 50msecs as I
> recall. The end result, on the ADAT anyway, is a splice in the data as
> any existing recording is faded out and the new stuff fades in. There
> is no record of either of the original data streams - just the
> resulting mix. I can see no way that you could come back later and
> alter the crossfade in such a system - you don't have the original

Hmm, I'd record the punched material into a separate file (hey,
diskspace is cheap). Replacing previously recorded material makes
sense with traditional recording gear, but in a computer-based
recording setup, I don't think it's necessary. And this makes undoing
easy.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing