Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: [linux-audio-dev] Fwd Windows vs Linux, VST vs Mucos etc]]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: [linux-audio-dev] Fwd Windows vs Linux, VST vs Mucos etc]]
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: ke maalis 01 2000 - 07:35:05 EST

>From: Michel Jullian <exbang_AT_wanadoo.fr>
>
>I encourage you to advocate this on the vst-plugins list.

Where this list is located? Please mail us subscription info and archive
locations.

>What I would like to see personally is the emergence of a single, good,
>multiplatform, evolutive plugin interface standard on which everybody would
>agree, whether public or proprietary, provided everybody can use it for free.

"Use it for free" might not be enough. Sure people want to make commercial
plug-ins without paying license, for example. I personally want a guarantee
that we are able to develop the plug-in interface further, and even create
a new branch if VST people are not willing to develop the interface further
at some point. GNU license is a good choise. Also, I want be able to use VST
name for any new branch (difference would be the version number or such).

I'm sure if such interface would be truelly free, no new branches would
be created because there would always be room for alternative approaches,
right guys? ;-) [ Recently we have come up with alternatives in
buffer handling and I don't see any good reason why we would not support
them all. ]

Juhana