Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA::runAdding()

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA::runAdding()
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 11:13:48 EEST

>From: Paul Barton-Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net>
>
>>>Augan have a much better way of handling this: gated recording.
>>
>>What it means?
>
>Recording starts and stops when the signal tapped at some specified
>point rises or falls above or below a certain level (can be done down

That's totally different than my example and really did go out the topic.

>Au contraire. I don't believe there *are* any cases that justify
>"preroll" or "postroll". You can bring up each one, and I'll try to
>find an alternative way to do it.

I can come up with alternatives too. I can come up with the alternatives
to this float vs. double streaming: make it in host, or do it entirely
inside one plug-in.

The task is not to find alternatives.

>The whole idea makes no sense to
>me. What happens if I turn on a plugin in the middle of an existing
>audio flow ?

If the recording plug-in were keeping last 10 seconds of audio in memory,
then you start saving the buffer content to disk.

In my system I would separate the above to a delay plug-in and to
disk writer plug-in.

Juhana