Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: latencies in NT

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: latencies in NT
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 20:33:05 EEST

>From: Benno Senoner <sbenno_AT_gardena.net>
>> Stumbled on this info:
>> (looks almost as RTLinux in implementation)
>>
>> Note the accumulated maximum for standard NT kernel (45 ms)
>
>But how many audio/multimedia apps will take advantage of this RT-NT
>when this RT feature is not available out of the box plus you will
>have to pay $$$ for the product.

Perhaps it comes with professional audio software. NT and MS Windows
seems to be based on the idea that you run commercial software only.
No users will need the feature, anyway.

We should not do the same in Linux, but the idea to distribute low-latency
patch with each software might be good, until it comes with kernel.

By the way, is it possible put the kernel scheduler in a module, so that
low-latency scheduler could be swapped on the fly? Then the low-latency
patch could come with Alsa, installed as easily.

Regards,

Juhana