[linux-audio-dev] Command parser?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Command parser?
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 23:10:53 EEST

Hello. I need to read simple commands from a file and execute the commands
as they are read. What would be a good system for reading them?

Actually, I think parsing a file is most difficult programming task.
For example, a simple fscanf could not find "%i patents" string
from the file even the file had one. Yep, I'm writing a system to
automatically notify me if new patents has arrived in the audio classes
and a system to keep up what patents I have already seen or downloaded.

Anyway, now I need a simple language for an audio project. The file
format would be following.

  command1 <float>

I have started to write a simple parser which finds first command,
and then reads as many parameters as the command has, and then another
command. It will exit the program if an error is found. First problem
is: how to find the commands and parameters? With fscanf(..,"%s",..)
and fscanf(..,"%f",..), and so on? How about comment lines?

Or should I use Bison? Can Guile be used? Python? What does Guile and
Python code look a like? Any others? Would they work with the patent
file problem? I.e., finding a string from an entire file.

I would be willing to use more complex parser than what I have started
to write because later I sure will need something more complex in my
wave editor.

Regards,

Juhana