Re: [linux-audio-dev] control curve patent

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] control curve patent
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 04:29:35 EET

On Friday 01 December 2000 02:57, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, David Olofson wrote:
> > AudioMaster II (and probably earlier versions as well) on the
> > Amiga had this. (It's a sample editor for 8 bit mono and stereo.)
> > I've used it on my first Amiga (a 500), and I got that one a few
> > months after the model was released. I don't know how long that
> > program has been around, but it could date back to the original
> > Amiga 1000...
>
> There are sample hardware and editors for the old Atari 8-bits (and
> I suppose, Apple II) that allow on-screen waveform editing with
> joystick/mouse (yes, there were a few mice back then, basically
> inverted trackball in the joystick port ;)
>
> That would be circa 1981/1982... before the word "sampler" was in
> vogue, and everything was called a "sound digitizer"

One could dig out the good ol' C64 as well. The old method of playing
samples on the SID (the 4 bit volume register method) has been around
for almost as long as the chip. Consequently, there were "sound
digitizers" for the C64 as well, and obviously, there had to be
software for them. Wonder what one could find there...

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'