Re: [linux-audio-dev] control curve patent

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] control curve patent
From: Frank Neumann (franky_AT_viona.de)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 17:37:46 EET

Hi,
(just catching up with 150 old mails, so this reply comes a bit late..sorry)
David Olofson wrote:

[..]
> One could dig out the good ol' C64 as well. The old method of playing
> samples on the SID (the 4 bit volume register method) has been around
> for almost as long as the chip. Consequently, there were "sound
> digitizers" for the C64 as well, and obviously, there had to be
> software for them. Wonder what one could find there...

This made me think of how wonderful it would be to take a project like
"Sidplay" (http://sidplay2.sourceforge.net/) and make a virtual synth out
of it. Alternatively, there is a hardware remake that uses the original
SID chip 6581 from the C64 and has some MIDI stuff built around it -
see http://www.sidstation.com

Just sharing his thoughts,
Frank