Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour-0.99.8 tarball released

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour-0.99.8 tarball released
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 18:45:39 EET

In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0012050803050.26262-100000_AT_luca.pas.lab>you write:
>I. Consistently use gtk+-specific terminology, or not.

yes, I had wondered about that. i didn't want to tie it to closely to
GTK. you could consider hbox and vbox to come from TeX if you like :)

>II. nestable packing?
>
> also i would have thought instead of:
><!ELEMENT grid-element (widget)>
><!ELEMENT box-element (widget)>
> we'd want:
><!ELEMENT grid-element (widget|packing-structure)>
><!ELEMENT box-element (widget|packing-structure)>
>
> but then again maybe you deliberately discluded nesting.

yes, I considered nesting but it seemed that it added a level of
complexity that may not need to be there. from an implementation point
of view, i think it would be easy.

>III. GtkFixed?
>
> i thought we were primarily going to use fixed-size images,
> fixed locations, so i was expecting the only packing structure
> to be GtkFixed -- i'm quite surprised by its absence.

well, xavier pointed out that box packing was a lot more flexible, and
i agreed with him. it also deals correctly with different size
displays and pixels in a way that GtkFixed cannot do.

>IV. Clarifying <controller><type>(spinner|image|knob)
>
>Without looking at the ardour source code, i'm guessing that:
> spinner is a gtk SpinButton

no. actually, i hate spin buttons and consider them to be a really bad
piece of GUI design. for a start, you have to move the mouse to change
direction. a spinner is a value display that can responds to mouse
button clicks (and perhaps motion, not sure) as a way of altering the
value. typically, i use the left button for decrement and right for
increment, but this can be changed on a per-widget basis. it will also
spin, so if you click and hold, the value will keep changing,
optionally with an exponential speed up in the rate.

> image is an array of images to be sorted then spaced out
> over the lower/upper bound specified by the plugin.

no, its a set of images (pixmaps) to be used to represent the value
range. the first image is used for the lower bound, the last for the
upper bound, and the rest are evenly space over the range.

> knob is a hardcoded knob widget? I'm guessing a circle with
> with an indicator

actually, "knob" and "slider" are just a convenience: they use the
same mechanism as "image" but the images are pre-supplied by the
implementation.

--p