Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour-0.99.8 tarball released

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour-0.99.8 tarball released
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 19:10:50 EET

> >I. Consistently use gtk+-specific terminology, or not.
>
> yes, I had wondered about that. i didn't want to tie it to closely to
> GTK. you could consider hbox and vbox to come from TeX if you like :)

good point. i'd forgotten the tex usage. (embarrassing since i'm
a major tex fan)

> actually, "knob" and "slider" are just a convenience: they use the
> same mechanism as "image" but the images are pre-supplied by the
> implementation.

well, knob and image make sense. i think slider should be reserved
for something with slider semantics though (a widget w/ one pixmap that
floats over another other).

one other forgotten point: it might be nice for the gui to be
able to specify the lower/upper bounds/is_logarithmic which override the values
specified be the ports. this would be mostly useful for people
designing guis that used someone else's plugins.
(trivial case: someone might want to make a "supergain" gui that
supported something like 100x volume. ok, maybe this is a bad example :)
but i can imagine other uses that aren't so insane.)

- dave