Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour-0.99.8 tarball released

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour-0.99.8 tarball released
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 18:27:50 EET

> once dave benson signs off on my XML proposal, i plan to do pretty
> much exactly that. but i don't want to spend time on the backend gui
> builder till there is good agreement on the XML DTD.

Heh, didn't realize i was blocking progress :)
Nonetheless, I'll seriously hurry.
In fact, I'll try to get my comments back in a day or two.

a few brief preliminary notes...

I. Consistently use gtk+-specific terminology, or not.

    I think if we're going to have hbox/vbox
    (which smell very strongly of gtk+), we oughta use table and not grid.
    and maybe spinbutton instead of spinner.

    or, use grid everywhere and if grid::height == 1, the implementation
    may use an hbox for efficiency, etc.

II. nestable packing?

    also i would have thought instead of:
<!ELEMENT grid-element (widget)>
<!ELEMENT box-element (widget)>
    we'd want:
<!ELEMENT grid-element (widget|packing-structure)>
<!ELEMENT box-element (widget|packing-structure)>

    but then again maybe you deliberately discluded nesting.

III. GtkFixed?

    i thought we were primarily going to use fixed-size images,
    fixed locations, so i was expecting the only packing structure
    to be GtkFixed -- i'm quite surprised by its absence.

IV. Clarifying <controller><type>(spinner|image|knob)

Without looking at the ardour source code, i'm guessing that:
        spinner is a gtk SpinButton
               +-----------+----+
               | value | ^ |
               | display | v |
               +-----------+----+
        image is an array of images to be sorted then spaced out
                over the lower/upper bound specified by the plugin.
        knob is a hardcoded knob widget? I'm guessing a circle with
                with an indicator
                --- --- ---
               / \ / o \ / \
              | | | | | |
              | | | | | |
               \o / \ / \ o/
                --- --- ---
           (lower bound) (halfway) (upper bound)

Little pictures like these, or a more elaborate text definition
might be good. (perhaps handle-able in external documentation)

> BTW, i don't use expat. i use "the official" libxml2.2.0 plus libxml++
> as a C++ wrapper. we used libxml itself with quasimodo and it sucks
> from a C++ programmer's perspective.

hm, i'm just considering switching back to sax interfaces,
which though incredibly annoying, *do* allow us to stream xml,
which is pretty awesomely efficiently...
(admittedly its completely irrelevant here...)

- dave