Re: Re[4]: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files

Subject: Re: Re[4]: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 10:45:01 EET

> I don't know if youall are aware but the first PDA running linux is
> due out within the month. Its from agendacomputing.com, is $150 and
> has LinuxVR on it.

Wow, too real! They are going to sell billions of them. Maybe even
literally. I can already see these type of computers being sold in
bubble packs in Walmart and grocery stores for $5 within 20 years,
like pocket calculators.

But bummer, I don't see anything about audio outs or USB for a
MIDI interface... well, it says "audio microphone / speaker set"
under optional accessories. But what is that? Stereo, even?

Oh, here we go ...

| you can connect the VR3's serial port to
| USB port by using a simple serial-to-USB adapter cable.

and...

| The specifications on the developer site list a headset as being included
| with the VR3d. Does this mean the VR3 has audio capability?
|
| Yes. The VR3 has a mono speaker/mic headset jack. The plan is to
| make it accessible via the standard Linux audio interface.

Ha! This thing could be programmed to be a synth module! Could
probably get 10+ _simple_ monophonic sample playback voices out of it.

> the uClinux project I think you are going to start seeing linux as a
> BIG choice for embedded systems (especially over WindowsCE).

As palmtops get to prices this low, and lower, WinCE is simply not
possible, due to its high licensing costs.

- Jay Ts