Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 14:43:39 EET

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:59:44AM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > Buts thats what DSP programmers spend a lot of time doing, ensuring
> > that an array of floats shares the same exponent allows you to
> > shortcut table lookups, for example.
>
> What has this got to do with the signals that are routed between
> plugins? I wouldn't think it makes sense to renormalize all audio
> data before feeding it into a plugin, or to require all plugins only
> to output normalized data... but perhaps it does, or what's your
> point?

I thought you were saying that there was no need to normalise float data
inside plugins (I misunderstood the 'nets' reference). You certainly
don't want data messed with between plugins as you only normalise in
certian cases.

> Uhm, "normalized range" cannot have been what I meant to write.
> "Normalized signal levels" was what I meant.

A 0dB level is fine by me either way.

> As to "bounded", I can't help interpretting that as "limited" or
> "clipped", which definitely doesn't make sense in FP systems.

Sorry, that isn't what I meant.

> But considering the late thread on parameter interpolation and that
> kind of stuff, it might just be that the event system will eliminate
> checking and/or unnecessarry calculations in the majority of quality
> plugins, thus being faster nearly all the time.

That is my feeling certainly, it would have to be a pretty simple plugin
before the exvent extraction overhead was larger than the recalculation.

- Steve