Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 14:27:14 EET

Richard Dobson wrote:

> I've just downloaded all the examples, and will start loooking at them;

Thanks! If you can think of a way to deal with the sample-swapping and
stereo issues I mentioned in my last post, I'd greatly appreciate it.

> but it is obvious that the Csound sndinfo app should give an error if it
> hasn't found a SSND chunk. It has a flag it sets, but doesn't test for
> it at the end of parsing. As I am working on 24bit file support for
> Csound, I can add this extra error checking generally. There is a small
> linux program called 'basef' by Toby Shepard (toby_AT_rcsreg.com according
> to my copy) which does scanning of AIFF chunks, might be more useful for
> this task?

Yeah, sndinfo is pretty well broken. In fact the version with csound
4.08 segfaults on every aiff file I have. Bleah.

> One idle thought: with the files you have tried to create, what happens
> if the APPL chunk is either absent, or (by using a hex editor on an
> original) the APPL chink has a different signature ID?

Wouldn't be very useful if absent, since that's where the sound goes.
:)
I tried changing the application signature with a hex editor, as you
suggested.
The SU gave an "ILLEGAL FORMAT" error. So I guess it insists that the
app sig. must say SU7M.

As far as I can tell, I am now creating mono .ssp files that the SU700
can load perfectly. Yay!

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.