Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reverse-engineering files
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 14:08:29 EET

Update:

I think I've cracked the format.
There are still two weird issues with reading & writing it properly
but I believe I now completely understand the header.

I've updated my notes page, and my sox hack.

I also put up a VERY small example sound file:
http://www.slinkp.com/linux/more.zip

That contains an .aif sample which I then imported on the SU and
generated an .ssp sample. Comparing them byte-by-byte in emacs hexl
mode was very instructive.

The remaining issues:

1) given a pair of samples (not bytes - samples!), the SU700 switches
them.
I have no idea why. But it's definitely doing it.

2) Rather than interleaving stereo data, each channel is written to a
separate chunk.
I need to figure out how to get SoX to write that...

But I'm going out of town for a few days and won't have the sampler
with me, so I can't do anything else till next week.

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
           web page: http://www.slinkp.com
      A member of ARMS: http://www.reacharms.com