Re: [linux-audio-dev] New release of my plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New release of my plugins
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 05:34:30 EET

>> Anyway Steve can you tell us more about your pitchshifter (the HQ version):
>>
>> how does it sound on +-20% pitch transpositions ?
>
>You tell me, my working-in-linux soundard is terrible! In theoru it
>should be good, (its an algorithm used in high end hardware/software).
>Early next year I plan to get an RME for home, then I can actualy tune
>these plugins properly.

I'm not sure how much impact your soundcard has. For me, both the
pitch shifters are not particularly good as transposers in that they
cause substantial alterations in the timbre of the sound, not just the
pitch. compared to the very-non-real-time stuff done by the SCRIME
guys (Inspect is the s/w), its really awful. Compared to what by
Quadraverb does, its fine. I've always viewed these things as
colorants as well as shifters - transposition needs to be done via a
different mechanism (hence the excitement about Acid when it came out).

--p