Re: [linux-audio-dev] New release of my plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New release of my plugins
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 16:24:52 EET

On Sun, 03 Dec 2000, you wrote:

> I'm not sure how much impact your soundcard has. For me, both the
> pitch shifters are not particularly good as transposers in that they
> cause substantial alterations in the timbre of the sound, not just the
> pitch. compared to the very-non-real-time stuff done by the SCRIME
> guys (Inspect is the s/w), its really awful. Compared to what by
> Quadraverb does, its fine. I've always viewed these things as
> colorants as well as shifters - transposition needs to be done via a
> different mechanism (hence the excitement about Acid when it came out).
>
> --p

I'm not an expert in pitchshifters, but it seems that there are a few one which
are really good and work in realtime.
For example the Roland VP9000 (a hw box) sounds really fantastic judging from
the demo sounds I've heard on the CD included with the german Keyboards
magazine. (I don't think that the VP9000 has THAT powerful DSPs on board ... )
But this box needs an analysis pass before being able to modify the
sample parameters (pitch, speed, formant correction) in realtime,
so I guess it would not be suitable to do realtime mixing of songs which
are feeded via a live input. (or perhaps this box has a non analyzing mode too?)

As Paul said, commercial companies consider audio algorithms as their
"big secret", but let's see how long this lasts until researchers at some
university (like the SCRIME guys) produce a comparable opensource version.
:-)

Benno.