[linux-audio-dev] Palm Top Linux Box :)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Palm Top Linux Box :)
From: Rick Burnett (destinytech_AT_spacey.net)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 06:46:10 EET

Well I did some more research on the new palm computer that runs
Linux. The processor is a MIPS processor and does not do floating
point calculations. Instead they have developed their own version of
libc that has soft routines.

So, in my work of designing a DSP that I can replace my 'hardware' one
that I am sick of, I thought of an interesting idea. One of my
friends who is starting to develop some plugins is thinking about a
rack mount linux box, nothing special (600Mhz single CPU, 128Mhz) etc.
What I have proposed to him is using this palm linux device as the
display and input device for the unit. I have not read up about it in
a while but I know you can use a serial port for xterm data.

Now before I get jumped all over for wanting you use some low lit
small LCD screen :) (j/k) What would be nice is if I developed my GUI
in two ways, to access both at the same time or something. This way
setting up new chains and more advanced things requiring a nice big
screen would still be done with the monitor, but a simple screen with
some 'touch' sensitive sliders and patch information (even level
display) may be nice.

What do you think? Just an idea. Hehe, you could run your palm over
to wherever you were (and its infrared in two way, low power 2-way and
hi power one way like a tv remote) and use it.

Rick