Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] read it and drool
From: Chris Baugher (baugher_AT_enteract.com)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 22:30:49 EET

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, David Olofson wrote:
> > Anyway, one issue with encoders is whether to use the absolute or
> > incremental types. The absolute encoders behave more like
> > potentiometers in that they "remember" their positions and
> > therefore offer some feedback as to their current position.
>
> I don't think that's a very big deal with rotary knobs... (Which is
> what I was thinking about.)

I didn't think so.

> > Incremental encoders do not and that could be annoying in
> > some(many?) places.
>
> Driver issue, really. But of course, you can either use a motorized
> potentiometer, or some LED or LCD indicators around the knob. Some
> digital consoles have the latter as a more affordable (for the
> manufacturer, at least) alternative.

OK

> > Also the rotary encoders I have seen don't have position stops like
> > potentiometers do. (It wouldn't make sense for the incremental
> > variety, but maybe it would for the absolute).
>
> Well, the whole point is just that there are no stops! :-) The deal
> is that you lock the current position of the encoder with the GUI
> item you select, and then move incrementally from there. The GUI is
> the feedback, but you turn the knob instead of fiddling with the
> mouse.
>
> I think of this controller as something you should use with the
> non-mouse-hand, but that should still behave similarly to the mouse
> wheel and buttons WRT GUI context. That is, just move the mouse over
> the control (which might be highlighted in some way, to indicate that
> the GUI is alive and in sync with you), and turn the knob. The GUI
> control will follow!
>
> Yes, only one knob, as an extension to the mouse and keyboard setup.

Ahh... I see where you're going with the single knob thing. I was thinking
more of a MIDI knob box where you have many knobs that can be mapped to
many different things. In that case the price of the encoders would become
a significant factor, and it would probably be cheaper just to buy an
off-the-shelf unit. But it would still be fun to build!

> I just think it gets messier if you add more physical controllers
> together with a GUI, at least in some situations. Going that way, I'd
> rather build some kind of integrated physical and grahpical UI... I

??

Chris|