Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 17:40:32 EET

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 09:32:53AM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> <!ELEMENT page (graphics-context?,packing-structure+)>
> <!ATTLIST page
> name CDATA #REQUIRED
> tab-orientation (left|right|bottom|top) "top"

Nice idea in principle, but I'm not sure that tab should be hardwired to
that extent. I've never been a fan of them as GUI elements myself.

> and then make the top level declaration:
>
> <!ELEMENT interface (xml-gui-version,(page+|
> (graphics-context,packing-structure+))>
>
> The assumed default implementation for pages would be a notebook-style
> thing.

If it could be generalised so that you could offer multiple interfaces to
the same plugin I would vote for it. My chorus for example is a right
bugger to tune if you don't know what you're doing, and offering one
iterface where all the tricky parameters are chosen by the plugin would
be good. I guess you would need to bind a hidden parameter to each
interface, and the nthe plugin could ignore the parameters that it knows
weren't set on that page.

> I suggest this because it seems clear to me that a plugin with 50+
> parameters is going to have a nightmarish time trying to represent
> them all in a single window. In the case of hermes, we could have
> a notebook with a tab for the oscillators, another for the filters,
> etc.

I was actually going to go for a large window and small knobs. I
think you loose lots of the benfit of plugins if you have to change
"pages" to edit the thing.

I don't think 50 knobs is that unreasonable for one interface, but I can
see the argument if it got to 70+.

- Steve

PS What happened to the x,y surface input? Did you decide against it, or
   was it an offhand comment? I think this would be great for, eg. filter
   cutoff and resonance control. If you allowed marker images (showing the
   current param pos) and a width of 0 you could have the 2 bitmap faders
   that everyone wants so much.