Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 19:07:58 EET

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 11:45:13AM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> Well, you need *something* to move from page to page. What else would
> you suggest ?

Well, if you just want to use it for spliting up one interface, then I
guess its as bad as anything else.

> >I was actually going to go for a large window and small knobs. I
> >think you loose lots of the benfit of plugins if you have to change
> >"pages" to edit the thing.
>
> But a "large" window may be very intrusive if you've got many other
> plugin GUIs not to mention the host already visible.

True. Well, I can always provide both interface styles as different XML
files, yes?

> Did you actually try to use a 50 knob GUI ? Its horrible - way too
> much information on the screen at one time. If you know the 50 knobs
> are spread out over 10 different synth modules, its one thing. When
> you are faced with the evidence that they all control just this one
> plugin, its overwhelming. I think.

I actually use interfaces that complicated regularly, but it can be
intimidating. Do you think its noticably different from using a modular
synth? Granted synths have real knbos, but I was planning to draw
a background that made the divisions between the 'modules' clear, and
showed the routing order. I agree that a plain 5x10 bank of knobs is
confusing, but the Doepfer 64 knob box is not unusable.

- Steve