Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 18:45:13 EET

>> <!ELEMENT page (graphics-context?,packing-structure+)>
>> <!ATTLIST page
>> name CDATA #REQUIRED
>> tab-orientation (left|right|bottom|top) "top"
>> >

>Nice idea in principle, but I'm not sure that tab should be hardwired to
>that extent. I've never been a fan of them as GUI elements myself.

Well, you need *something* to move from page to page. What else would
you suggest ?

>If it could be generalised so that you could offer multiple interfaces to
>the same plugin I would vote for it. My chorus for example is a right
>bugger to tune if you don't know what you're doing, and offering one
>iterface where all the tricky parameters are chosen by the plugin would
>be good. I guess you would need to bind a hidden parameter to each
>interface, and the nthe plugin could ignore the parameters that it knows
>weren't set on that page.

I don't like the complication of "multiple interfaces". If you want
that, create two versions of the plugin with two different XML specs.

>I was actually going to go for a large window and small knobs. I
>think you loose lots of the benfit of plugins if you have to change
>"pages" to edit the thing.

But a "large" window may be very intrusive if you've got many other
plugin GUIs not to mention the host already visible.

>I don't think 50 knobs is that unreasonable for one interface, but I can
>see the argument if it got to 70+.

Did you actually try to use a 50 knob GUI ? Its horrible - way too
much information on the screen at one time. If you know the 50 knobs
are spread out over 10 different synth modules, its one thing. When
you are faced with the evidence that they all control just this one
plugin, its overwhelming. I think.

--p