LADSPA port hints (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour-0.99.8 tarball released)

Subject: LADSPA port hints (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour-0.99.8 tarball released)
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 07:53:46 EET

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> I don't see why we would want 2 sets of bounds. If there is no useful
> "real" bound, then just use the existing bound. If there is a "real"
> bound, then the GUI should be using it. However, I do think that a
> default is a good idea. The alternatives (use lower, upper or middle
> or range, or random value) are all poor.

++votes. Without a per-parameter default value, there's no way to
initialize the generic plugin GUI to a sane state. If you initialize
to some "common" value like 0 or 1, you might have a default that does not
fit inside the specified bounds. Now in ecawave, I currently initialize to
the lower-bound. If not specified, then to the upper bound. If neither of
the bounds are specified in plugins hints, param is initialized to 1.0.
But in many cases, this results in unwanted bahaviour. For instance, if
you now select Steve's multiband-eq in ecawave, all bands default to -70
(which is the lower bound)! Now that's far from a sane default state. :)