Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 08:17:42 EET

  [ dithering 24bit pixmap images to <24 bits ]

>Are you saying that there isn't support for dithering from 24 bit
>when uploading pixmaps? (Even Windoze does that... Don't know enough
>about X, GDK and GTK+ to tell exactly where it would be done here.)

oh, X can do it all right, but the result is generally crapola. as far
as i can tell, there's a fair amount of graphic design skill involved
in designing visual elements with shading etc. that work well at
different bit depths. whatever dithering techniques X provides by
default will screw up naive attempts (such as my own knobs, etc)
because the artist didn't pay any attention to the thought that they
might lose every other or even 2 out of 3 bits when the image was
rendered.

--p