Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa xml gui
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 00:19:49 EET

>Well, I was thinking more of
>
><envelope>
> <point x="attack_time" y="attack_level">
> <point x="decay_time" y="decay_level">
> <point x="sustain_time" y="sustain_level">
> <point x="release_time" y="release_level">
></envelope>

think general, think wide :)

but obviously, a plugin could choose to use as many ports as it
wanted. if it just wants to do standard ADSR curves, 8 ports will be
fine, as in your example, rewritten here as:

<curve width="www" height="hhh">
     <point port_x="1" port_y="2">
     <point port_x="3" port_y="4">
     <point port_x="5" port_y="6">
     <point port_x="7" port_y="8">
</curve>

hey, you know what, i rather like that! you could make the x/y ports
optional too. what do you think ?

>But I guess that is just a less extreme example of the same thing, the
>plugin is going to have to interpolate either way.

right. there's no avoiding that. the problem is that whats on the
screen (interpolated by GUI) may not be the same as whats done by the plugin.

>I think that reading >50 parameters or so is going to be very slow.

its just pointer access to floats ... shouldn't be too bad at all,
especially if the host had the foresight to allocate the ports as a
contiguous array, since we get cache hits then.

--p