[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA article announcement

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA article announcement
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 17:47:41 EET

Greetings:

  I've begun to collect material for an article I'll be writing for the
O'Reilly Network. It will focus on LADSPA, and it will include some user
guides as well as some technical explanation. I will undoubtedly request
assistance from some of the LADSPA gurus here, but I'll do most of that
questioning off-list.

  However, I've already run into some problems regarding
implementations, specifically with terminatorX and Sweep. tX is actually
okay for many of the plugins (chorus and flange work well), but for some
reason it doesn't even register the Freeverb (which is what I really
want to use with it). Also, some of the plugins produce some really
horrible distortion. Some don't produce any sound at all. What I'm
wondering is whether this is also a situation with VST, or is there more
"safeguarding" against clipping, aliasing, and other undesirable
distortion ? What might I be missing in my use of the plugins: sample
rate considerations, soundfile format restrictions, amplitude range
restrictions, or...??

  Sweep simply ignores the plugin effects completely. I'm using the most
recent CVS version, but the data entry boxes for the app won't take
anything but integer values. Not that it matters anyway, because nothing
happens after appying the plugin.

  Of course, I'll also write to the authors of those apps for their
advice.

  It's interesting to see how each app handles the GUI.

  I have about six weeks to complete my research and writing. I'd like
to make a solid presentation of LADSPA for wider recognition, so I'll be
popping up with questions now & then. Thankfully the LAD list is
archived, so I'll try to get my basic research together before bothering
anyone here with more specific queries. It looks like I'm at least in
for learning about XML: any suggestions on where to begin that study ?

  I'll also be testing ecasound, GDAM, and Snd for their support for
LADSPA. I'm very interested in advice on applying plugins in any of the
mentioned apps, and I'm quite cheerful about the possibility that the
problems are due to user error. All advice/corrections/jokes will be
vastly appreciated !

  So, does anyone have any particular LADSPA issues they'd like to see
addressed in the article ?

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net

Currently listening to: New London Consort, "Olim Sudor Herculis"