Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA article announcement

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA article announcement
From: Alexander König (alex_AT_rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 02:16:35 EET

Hi,

Dave Phillips wrote:
<..>
> However, I've already run into some problems regarding
> implementations, specifically with terminatorX and Sweep. tX is actually
> okay for many of the plugins (chorus and flange work well), but for some
> reason it doesn't even register the Freeverb (which is what I really
> want to use with it). Also, some of the plugins produce some really
> horrible distortion. Some don't produce any sound at all.
On Freeverb: I know this is an annoying limitation, but I tried to state
it everywhere I could: terminatorX doesn't work with stereo-plugins
(like freeverb). The "turntables" in tX are mono and therefore tX
support mono plugins only. On startup tX analyzes the available plugins
and loads only those with one audio-in and one audio-out port (and
informs the user about this on stdout). I'm currently working on making
tX stereo and maybe I'll have an additional stereo-effect-queue
sometime, too.

On the distortion: I noted this on playing around with some plugins,
too, but I didn't have the time yet to trace down wether this is a tX or
the plugins' problem. Hopefully I'll have some time over the holidays to
fix this if I can.

> It's interesting to see how each app handles the GUI.
tX is using the HINTS provided by LADSPA itself. At the moment
LOGARITHMIC isn't handled yet. The handling of the parameters for
plugins happens through the same code that handles tX built-in
parameters which is why the plugins integrate with the built-in
sequencer nicely.

<..>
> I'll also be testing ecasound, GDAM, and Snd for their support for
> LADSPA. I'm very interested in advice on applying plugins in any of the
> mentioned apps, and I'm quite cheerful about the possibility that the
> problems are due to user error. All advice/corrections/jokes will be
> vastly appreciated !
Well on evaluating GDAM do check out the GDAM-mininetwork plus
ladspapluginmaker, too. IMHO this is the *coolest* LADSPA-tool ever.

Looking forward to reading your article,
Alex

                            Alexander König - alex_AT_42.fht-esslingen.de
                                             http://www.terminatorX.cx

[From the Homer Quotables:] I wore my extra loose pants for nothing. Nothing!

-- Homer Simpson New Kid on the Block