[linux-audio-dev] MIDI sync issues; mmc, mtc, ...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI sync issues; mmc, mtc, ...
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 22:56:19 EET

Coming back to this old topic again. I just bought a hw-sequencer that
supports sending and receiving mmc and syncing to incoming mtc. I just did
some testing using mmc, and results were suprisingly good. I had a
background track prepared on the hw-sequencer, and used a hacked version
of ecasound for recording new tracks. When recording/playback is started,
ecasound sends a mmc-start and the hw-sequencer starts playing the
background track. I recorded multiple tracks this way, and to my suprise,
they stayed nicely in sync.

Now is this the expected behaviour, or is it more common that the speed
of various hw devices (and of course, soundcards) vary from time to time,
sooner or later resulting in lost sync? Uhm, maybe a little dumb question,
but this is something that's hard to verify yourself. Just because my two
devices x and y stay in sync doesn't say much really... :(

And another question, do any of the available Linux sequencers support
mmc, mtc, smpte, etc, sync?