Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI sync issues; mmc, mtc, ...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI sync issues; mmc, mtc, ...
From: pdq808_AT_t-online.de
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 06:50:06 EET

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> I recorded multiple tracks this way, and to my suprise,
> they stayed nicely in sync.
>
> Now is this the expected behaviour, or is it more common that the speed
> of various hw devices (and of course, soundcards) vary from time to time,
> sooner or later resulting in lost sync? Uhm, maybe a little dumb question,
> but this is something that's hard to verify yourself. Just because my two
> devices x and y stay in sync doesn't say much really... :(

Kai, I think you already know the answer: you may be lucky now and then
but in general two devices will not stay in sync. In a five minute track,
if the x-tals are accurate to 10 ppm, the drift will be 3 ms, i.e. too
large. I have a soundcard with two independent chips and even they won't
stay in sync even though they see the same temperature and voltage drift.

> And another question, do any of the available Linux sequencers support
> mmc, mtc, smpte, etc, sync?

Muse claims to have partially implemented mtc sync, but I couldn't get it
to work. From my windows experience, even Cubase does not sync properly to
midi clock unless the audio sub system is disabled. Rebirth is OK. I have
an audio to midi clock hardware device which works very well. It would be
fun to have midi clock sync in one of these DJ programs (gdam, djkrazy).

Regards,
Reiner