Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA article announcement

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA article announcement
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 19:50:46 EET

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 10:47:41AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> However, I've already run into some problems regarding
> implementations, specifically with terminatorX and Sweep. tX is actually
> okay for many of the plugins (chorus and flange work well), but for some
> reason it doesn't even register the Freeverb (which is what I really
> want to use with it). Also, some of the plugins produce some really
> horrible distortion. Some don't produce any sound at all. What I'm
> wondering is whether this is also a situation with VST, or is there more
> "safeguarding" against clipping, aliasing, and other undesirable
> distortion ? What might I be missing in my use of the plugins: sample
> rate considerations, soundfile format restrictions, amplitude range
> restrictions, or...??

VST hosts and plugins tend to have fairly sophisticated metering, which
helps enourmously, but fundamentally VST plugins are as susectable to
clipping as LADSPA plugins. Ardour supports LADSPA, and probably has
good metering. Depending on the source of the problem you can either bung
a compresser in the way, or just attenuate the input. Lots of VST plugins
have attenuators built into the inputs, but I don't know if that's a
builtin feature of VST, or explititly in the plugins.

Some plugins out there will have bugs too, especially mine! You don't
say which chorus and flanger you tried. I would expect them to have
problems when parameters are changed, and until very recently they had
problems with small chunk sizes. I haven't release fixed versions yet,
but hope to later today.

> Sweep simply ignores the plugin effects completely. I'm using the most
> recent CVS version, but the data entry boxes for the app won't take
> anything but integer values. Not that it matters anyway, because nothing
> happens after appying the plugin.

You probably haven't selected a region, but sweep also doesn't allow
negative values anyway, so...

> It looks like I'm at least in
> for learning about XML: any suggestions on where to begin that study ?

XML is proably less than you think it is, it's basicly just a syntax for
text data files, and a way of describing a given instance of that syntax
(the DTD). Have a look at http://www.w3.org/XML/ for an intro.

> So, does anyone have any particular LADSPA issues they'd like to see
> addressed in the article ?

Well, the GUI issue is an interesting one. IMHO Free software tends to
have (comparitivly) ugly interfaces, and commercial audio plugins tend to
have extremly pretty interfaces (sometime even to the detriment of thier
operation). It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

- Steve