[linux-audio-dev] intro

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] intro
From: Sukandar Kartadinata (sk_AT_glui.de)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 03:58:07 EET

hello list
new to linux-audio-dev, and actually rather new to Linux in general, I have
a few questions, hopefully appropriate for this forum.

a few lines about myself: I do (custom) technology for musicians and
artists - system design as well as components, software and hardware,
sometimes also installation. At times I do music myself. I'm familiar with
Macs, DSP, micro controllers, FPGAs, Windows, assembler, C++, MAX, Matlab,
sound cards, and all that, but, alas, not Linux.

my main reason to consider inflicting yet another techonolgy upon myself,
is the promise of lower latency, which according to the faqs is a little
tricky but possible.

now, as I need to assemble a portable system, my first question would be:
  #1 how painless/ful is it to run Linux on a laptop ?

and, as I'd prefer a dual-boot MacOS/Linux machine:
  #2 what are your experiences with LinuxPPC on a PowerBook ?

and then, towards "ultra-portability":
  #3 has anyone done linux-audio on embedded systems ?

thanks
Sukandar