Re: [linux-audio-dev] intro

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] intro
From: Matthias Pfisterer (Matthias.Pfisterer_AT_gmx.de)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 10:08:45 EET

Sukandar Kartadinata wrote:

> now, as I need to assemble a portable system, my first question would be:
> #1 how painless/ful is it to run Linux on a laptop ?
>
> and, as I'd prefer a dual-boot MacOS/Linux machine:
> #2 what are your experiences with LinuxPPC on a PowerBook ?

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux on a PowerBook Pismo as my regular
development platform. And yes, sound works. I've once patched the kernel
driver to get the internal speakers making sound. This is now in the
regular kernels, at least the "official" powerpc kernel trees. However,
I didn't manage to make the internal microphone work. The sound quality
is quite good if you use headphones or an external amplifier (obviously,
internal 1" speakers can't be good). I recently read about an ALSA
driver for the Powermacs, but hadn't time to test it so far.
Also note that using and installing GNU/Linux on PowerPC is quite a bit
more difficult than on x86. At the time I got my Powerbook in summer, it
was an adventure similar to x86 Linux five year ago. However, it's
getting better from month to month now. X and sound are now working
without problems, even Java.

Matthias

--
Matthias Pfisterer	<mailto:Matthias.Pfisterer_AT_gmx.de>

Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.

(from a nepalese mantra)

Java Sound Examples: http://rupert.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~pfistere/jsexamples/ Tritonus, the open source implementation of the Java Sound API: http://www.tritonus.org/ --------------------------------------------------------------