Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Cecilia sources

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Cecilia sources
From: Alex Burton (burtona_AT_ERE.UMontreal.CA)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 08:27:10 EET

  Mauricio is right; tclcruncher gave a bit of performance under TCL 7
(an optimization that became useless when the bytecode compiler came
in, nonwithstanding the raw power of current machines).

  So it's true that we could have distributed the tclcrunched source
file (which is pretty ugly!) but at that point it made sense to
compile it in the tclsh (tcl2c creates a C string that gets emebedded
in the tclsh and is interpreted on launch).

  That way, people would just grab the "binary" and be up and running.
Keep in mind that Cecilia was originally on IRIX, for a "customer
base" that used their workstations as "users", a very different crowd
from current linux users. Lots of machines did not even have a
compiler...

  also keep in mind that none of us had a really working linux box at
the time :) Dave has been quite essential in testing and getting
Cecilia running on linux.

  i think the reason for not releasing the source code was to get it
in good shape (you know, clean the kid a bit). time has passed and i
guess it's pretty clear we'll never give it another stab...

  good luck reading that code!

                                Alex.