Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: status of ll-patch ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: status of ll-patch ?
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 10:07:22 EEST

Andrew Morton wrote:

> Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> >
> > hello lad folk, hello andrew !
> >
> > how is the ll-patch going ?
>
> Hi, Jörn.
>
> I sent the patch to Linus two weeks ago. No merge, no reply. I queried
> him about it two days ago. No reply.
>
> I could rant on about him having the project management and people
> leadership skills of an asthmatic cumquat, but I would never do that.

why rant when you can be *subtle* ? >;->

> It's not looking good. This mystifies me because the patch was designed
> to precisely fulfil some guidelines he laid down on lkml.

well, it's not the first time that this happens, afaict from reading
kt.
probably linus is waiting for the people who started it all to get
up and do something with the patches - i think this is legitimate.
it's our job to run benchmarks and give it a stress test, and it's
probably also our job to find eveidence that it has no or very
little performance impact on other kernel stuff.

> No, the patch isn't on
> http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/schedlat.html - it should be.

tell me when it arrives there, so i can link it. would be nice if
the filename gives a hint to which kernel it applies.

> I saw a patch fly past a few days ago which would result in mine not
> applying - trivial change but I do need to update it. This is a hard
> thing because I'm stuck on the wrong continent with a win95 laptop :(
> I'll get an update out this weekend.

well, one of the last purposes of my post was to press *you* :)

> Yes, we do need more testing and lots of glowing success reports sent to
> lkml. This may be what Linus is looking for. I dunno. I had hoped
> that Paul B-D would have got some serious testing results out into
> public by now (hint). I need to run some additional benchmarks to show
> that there is no negative impact - lmbench, bonnie, iozone, ...
>
> On the upside, if it is rejected (but why? grr.) then becomes an
> offstream patch and its scope can be expanded to cover off on any other
> hotspots which may pop up - the design criterion of keeping it small and
> non-intrusive is no longer applicable. But I don't want to go overboard
> because who knows, a distributor may choose to pick it up.
>
> I've attached here the latest patch - it'll apply against test5-pre2 or
> pre3 or pre4. But that zap_page_range patch which went past may break
> pre5 (when it comes out).

i'll announce it on the LAD site.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier