Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFD: Audio Needs for Kernel 2.5+

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFD: Audio Needs for Kernel 2.5+
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 03:36:33 EEST

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> as to the inclusion of alsa, i think this reflects a frame of mind
> that dave phillips has pointed out in another mail:
>
> * many people (even on lkml) are not yet seeing the potential and
> the need to make linux a state-of-the-art multimedia platform.

Umm, I'm not sure if I said that. But I certainly believe it.

Actually, you need only read the linux-sound mail list and
comp.os.linux.development.apps to find how much outreach remains to be
done.

And if you read Linux Magazine you may have been surprised by the omission
of ANY audio-related sites from their Top 100 Linux Web sites listing in
their June 2000 issue. I like LM, so I wrote a little note reminding them
of my site: I was told a mention would be made of the Linux Soundapps
pages in an upcoming issue. Didn't happen in July, maybe next month...

How did they miss the Linux Soundapps site ? Or the Linux Music Station ?
Or the activity at ALSA or on the LAD mail list ?

Are we invisible ?

The low-latency patches are extremely important. I want to see Linux
eclipse all other popular OS's as a superior multimedia platforms, and I
would like to see it do it "out of the box". So who do we agitate to make
sure those patches go into the kernel ??

Again & again I'm reminded that somehow a lot of good people are
missing what's going on in Linux audio. Jason Perlow's otherwise fine
assessment of Linux and MP3s (in the May 2000 Linux Magazine) fails to
mention Damien Morel's DAM's MP3 site, to my mind *the* place to go for
the latest information regarding Linux MP3 software. Ah, well...

It's uphill all the way...

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html