Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFD: Audio Needs for Kernel 2.5+

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFD: Audio Needs for Kernel 2.5+
From: Gad Berger (gad_AT_csh.rit.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 04:54:53 EEST

> > * many people (even on lkml) are not yet seeing the potential and
> > the need to make linux a state-of-the-art multimedia platform.
>
> Umm, I'm not sure if I said that. But I certainly believe it.

        Preach on brotha' :) I for one am extremely interested in seeing
Linux Audio projects and support take off in great strides. I've heard
from people that Linux tries to be so much these days, but when it comes
down to it, every OS looks like it tries to be everything it can be. What
makes this OS better than any other (in my view) is the amazing support
and spirit its users embody.

        Currently I'm knee deep in audio development, and the one thing
I've seen that could be increased is more documentation on return
statements from the audio devices. You guys are probably going to shoot me
for this, but I'm using OSS as a start to creating an audio filter for our
project. I have things working nicely now, but when I moved our
development over to a new machine with a different card, I noticed that
when I request for the audio card to play at a frequency of 48000 Hz,
I get what seems to be the actual crystal speed that the device will
play...and not 48000 Hz. The output holds true for every frequency I
try. I'd like to not handle the output as a hack, and I'm wondering if
anyone encountered this before, AND if they have a solution.

        I'm not asking to be told to use ALSA instead, that's not an
issue...I will make an ALSA filter soon enough, but I want to have the
kinks out of each filter before I move on.

Thanks,
Gad Berger
LSDVD