[linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: RFD: Audio Needs for Kernel 2.5+

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: RFD: Audio Needs for Kernel 2.5+
From: A Life in Hell (alih_AT_dspaudio.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 05:01:00 EEST

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Scott McNab wrote:
> These sort of comments really worry me. Especially coming from someone
> with such a high influence as Alan. It shows a complete lack of
> understanding of the limitations of the existing OSS audio API and the
> advantages of the ALSA driver design.
>
> Perhaps someone suitably qualified (Jaroslav?) should prepare a list
> of exactly what is bad about the OSS API and what advantages are
> offered by adopting ALSA in its entirety.

I actully think paul's (joke, probably) idea of getting alan to write a
oss driver for a bizzare card is a good one.... Trying to write a, say 8
channel 24 bit driver for OSS gives you a real appriciation for how much
better the ALSA setup is (yes, I am the silly person who tried this, but I
say in my defence that I was pressured into it by my employer - alesis can
be accuratly described as "a bunch of stupid fucks" at times, and my
manager of course didn't see this, and webt along with what they said ;)

        - Jaymz

p.s. i'd offer one of the adatpcr cards to the cause, but you know, i'm
not that evil. (I am going to put the driver in that orphaned projects
repository tho, since I don't have the time to maintain it myself
now)