[linux-audio-dev] Re: TTurtle Beach Tahiti

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: TTurtle Beach Tahiti
From: Josef Jurek (jaj3_AT_midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 17:56:11 EEST

Dustin Barlow <dbarlow_AT_dustinbarlow.net> writes:
=
= Has anyone gotten a Turtle Beach Tahiti card working in Linux? The
= Tahiti is basically a Monterey (sp?) without the synth chip...ie it just
= does digital audio. I tried to get the card to work about 6 months ago
= using Alsa, but was unsuccessful because the docs claimed that Tahiti
= wasn't supported, but the Monterey was.
=
= I really like to use it in a Madrake 7.1 linux box I just built because
= it has wonderfully clean DACs. I'm just wondering if anyone else has
= been successful or not so that I don't waste a bunch of time trying to do
= the "impossible".

I installed a Tahiti in my box running RedHat 6.2 last month
and was able to get it working as far at DAC (I haven't tried ADC or
MIDI yet). The Tahiti is supported directly by the Linux Kernel,
you don't need to use ALSA or 4Front/OSS; this is mentioned in
the Linux Sound-HOWTO. To set up mine, I used sndconfig, RedHat's
sound card configuration utility, though you should be able to
configure it manually. Also, you need to download some firmware for
the card; I can mail you the ftp site when I get home.

Josef