Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: TTurtle Beach Tahiti

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: TTurtle Beach Tahiti
From: Josef Jurek (jaj3_AT_midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 19:37:58 EEST

= "miriam rainsford" <motet_AT_zoom.co.uk> writes:
=
= > I installed a Tahiti in my box running RedHat 6.2 last month
= > and was able to get it working as far at DAC (I haven't tried ADC or
= > MIDI yet).
=
= And it worked ok???

Yes; it was that easy (well, I had to struggle with conflicting
interrupts for a while). Another initial problem is that the IO-port
on the Tahiti can only be changed under the Windows 95/98/NT, and
so at one point I had to pop the card in a box running W98
to configure this.

= I'm astounded at how easily you've got it running - I've
= spent the last 2-3 months in agony trying to get my Turtle Beach Pinnacle
= running in Mandrake,

According to the Linux Sound-HOWTO (do people read this document anymore?),
the Pinnacle is supported by the kernel as well. In my RedHat
distribution, the directory /usr/doc/kernel-doc-2.xxxx/ contains the
kernel documentation with the directory /usr/doc/kernel-doc-2.xxxx/sound/
containing quite a bit of documentation on configuring the various soundcards
that the kernel supports, including information on installing the
TurtleBeach MultiSound cards. Do other Linux distributions not
come with this documentation?

= and have been in dialogue with a programmer to try to
= do so... Have you found Red Hat's support for PnP easier? My main difficulty
= has been "imaginary" device conflicts - complaining that the device is busy

This sounds like an interrupt conflict. You can check this by looking
at the files /proc/interrupts and /proc/pci to see what interrupts are
being used by other devices. I was able to solve such a problem
because my BIOS allowed me to reserve an interrupt for the ISA slots
that the Tahiti requires.

Another thing: I have a friend with a Pinnacle installed in a Windows
98 machine, and he claimed that the Pinnacle required _two_ interrupts.

Good luck,

Josef