Re: [linux-audio-dev] an open letter to Linus re: low latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] an open letter to Linus re: low latency
From: Jussi Laako (jussi_AT_jlaako.pp.fi)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 13:44:37 EEST

Jay Ts wrote:

> For use over the network, an open Internet protocol would be developed.
> One thing I really want right now is to be able to play a CD (or make
> sound through some other means) on one system, and send it to the audio
> device on another. Here I am logged into my server and writing this from
> the other room, but if I run a wavplay command, the sound comes out in
> the room, where the computer is, and where I can't hear it!

Works pretty well here... Well, not very seamlessly, but it works.
I have two soundcards on my server (P100) and I can play multiple streams
over my crappy 10base2 network and standard kernel. I can play same source
on multiple computers or multiple sources on same computer. I haven't
measured latency, but it seems to be "low".

 - Jussi

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at: ldap://certserver.pgp.com, http://keys.pgp.com:11371