Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 20:40:54 EEST

>From: Joe Miklojcik <jmik_AT_nbcs.rutgers.edu>
>
>"Richard A. Smith" wrote:
>
>> Anybody know of a gigasampler clone for Linux?
>> If not is anyone interested in writing one?
>
>It's certainly worth writing. It would be nice if it were integrated
>into quasimodo (www.quasimodo.org) or some other carefully written
>software synth that runs on Linux.

I suggest we leave Quasimodo alone for a while. The basic system is quite
simple and taking Quasimodo to the field would scare a few of us away.
Writing this basic framework for low-latency playing (from disk) as
a standalone library/application would help all software.

>I believe there are pattent issues associated with gigasampler's
>preloading techniques for streaming the samples from disk. I don't
>remember what the consensus was on whether these patents were easily
>challenged, or what. Check the linux-audio-dev archives.

Patent is from 1997. I found a DejaNews article from 1995 on storing
beginnings of each audioclip to memory for low-latency playback. Rest of
the audioclip is loaded from disk. At least that part is patent-free.

I suggest we write a sequencer (playlist player) in which each played
audioclip may be a file or a preloaded sample. Different sequences may be
played simultaneously and modified on-the-fly --- making it possible
to implement Gigasampler clone if individuals wishes to do so (Gigasampler
as a sampling synth is still patented).

Our application is nothing else than a audioclip player, not a sampling
synth. Though, individuals may precompute sounds to files (with Quasimodo,
Csound) and interactively play with them. By the way, this kind of
interactive playing of precomputed synth sounds (notes) from files was the
idea of my own realtime synth back at 1995 and earlier. I have no idea if
I wrote about it in public, sad.

Please consider this project started now!

Juhana