Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone
From: Archer Sully (archer_AT_meer.net)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 21:36:28 EEST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Juhana Sadeharju" <kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi>

> Our application is nothing else than a audioclip player, not a sampling
> synth. Though, individuals may precompute sounds to files (with Quasimodo,
> Csound) and interactively play with them. By the way, this kind of
> interactive playing of precomputed synth sounds (notes) from files was the
> idea of my own realtime synth back at 1995 and earlier. I have no idea if
> I wrote about it in public, sad.

SGI shipped a software synth that worked in a similar fashion in late '95
or early '96. Work on it was started in '94. It also did real-time filters
with resonance. Kinda cool, actually. Don't know if its still in IRIX,
but I do know that the developer(s) moved on. It in turn was inspired
by various software work done at CNMAT, CCRMA and other
academic facilities.

Does anyone have the number on Gigasampler's patent? I didn't find
anything matching "gigasampler" at IBM, unless they are using Invision
patents. Which, quite frankly, should have been rejected out of hand,
as they only seem to patent standard practice in software synthesis
circa 1990, albeit with a twist that the algorithm is selected by software
according to the amount of CPU cycles available. I think that if this
feature is left off then a system would not infringe, but IANAPL.

Archer Sully
Boulder, CO